The M.Sc. in Humanitarian Logistics and Crisis Management is an interinstitutional postgraduate degree programme, which is being offered by the Department of Balkan, Slavic and Oriental Studies of the University of Macedonia and the Department of Science and Technology of the University Center of International Programmes of Studies of the International Hellenic University.
The M.Sc. in Humanitarian Logistics and Crisis Management starts in February 2023.
The postgraduate degree programme combines humanitarian logistics with crisis management, providing high quality theoretical and technological knowledge, as well as analytical and technological tools, to cover the need for professionals in the above scientific fields of government agencies including civil protection, national and international organizations, military, police, coast guard, fire department, NGOs, local authorities, private sector companies, as well as academia.
The recent and ongoing crises in Greece and globally such as the COVID-19 pandemic, refugee crisis, climate related disasters, global financial crisis, as well as the more recent energy crisis, have shown their interconnectedness and the need for an effective management of the phenomena in all stages, such as preparedness, response and recovery, with the contribution of all stakeholders, for the development, disaster risk reduction and resilience building at a local community, national and international level. Importantly, they have led to an even more demanding need for education focused on the provision of technological and theoretical knowledge and development of suitable competencies and skills to obtain integrated knowledge in humanitarian logistics and crisis management.
The M.Sc. in Humanitarian Logistics and Crisis Management provides interdisciplinary education that combines technological, theoretical and managerial knowledge, as well as technological and analytical tools in humanitarian logistics and crisis management. Graduates obtain the necessary knowledge and skills, in the scientific fields of humanitarian logistics, crisis management, emergency management and business continuity for a successful academic and professional career.
The basic aims of the M.Sc. in Humanitarian Logistics and Crisis Management include:
- to provide interdisciplinary education in the scientific fields of humanitarian logistics, crisis management, emergency management and business continuity, leading to the development of the corresponding competencies.
- to provide the technological, institutional, humanitarian and managerial knowledge for a successful professional career in national and international organizations, government agencies, military, NGOs, local authorities and private sector companies (among others) in humanitarian logistics, crisis management, emergency management and business continuity.
- to provide technological and practical tools needed for humanitarian logistics and for the efficient management of humanitarian crises and emergencies.
- to provide theoretical knowledge and analytical tools on issues of cultural difference, social relations, policy and institutions for the development of best practices in crisis management and refugee flows, at an operational as well as strategic level.
- to contribute to the understanding of challenges that relate to policy and international development issues.
The M.Sc. in Humanitarian Logistics and Crisis Management is taught exclusively in English.
Official Government Gazette: