Christos Tjortjis is the Head of the Department of Science and Technology and the Dean of the School of Science and Technology, International Hellenic University. He is Programme Director for the MSc in Data Science, the MSc in ICT systems, the MSc in Mobile and Web Computing: Internet of Things Applications, the MSc in Cybersecurity, the MSc in e-Business and Digital Marketing and the MSc in Smart Cities and Communities.
Formerly he was a tenured Lecturer at the University of Manchester, Schools of Computer Science and Informatics, as well as UMIST, Department of Computation. He also was an adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Ioannina, Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering, an adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Western Macedonia, Dept. Engineering Informatics and Telecommunications.
His focal research area is data mining, decision support, software engineering and smart cities. He published some 100 papers in international referred journals and conferences. He led a number of research projects on software quality assurance using data mining, as well as on strategic maintenance and evolution of software. He was also involved as a principal investigator or co-investigator in several software and knowledge management projects. He supervised 5 completed PhD theses and currently supervises 6 PhD students.
- Koukaras, P., Tjortjis, C. and Rousidis, D. “Social Media Types: Introducing a Data Driven Taxonomy”, Computing, Springer, Vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 295-340, 2020.
- Rousidis D., Koukaras P., Tjortjis C., “Social Media Prediction A Literature Review”, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer, 79(9), 6279-6311, 2020.
- Tjortjis C., “Mining Association Rules from Code (MARC) to Support Legacy Software Management”, Software Quality Journal, Springer, Vol. 28, no. 2, 2020, pp. 633–662.
- Sarlis V., Tjortjis C., “Sports Analytics – Evaluation of Basketball Players and Team Performance” Information Systems, Elsevier, Vol. 93, 2020.
- Koukaras P., Rousidis D. and Tjortjis C., “Introducing a novel Bi-functional method for Exploiting Sentiment in Complex Information Networks”, Int’l Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies. Inderscience, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2021.
- Kousis A. and Tjortjis C., “Data Mining Algorithms for Smart Cities: A Bibliometric Analysis”, Algorithms, MDPI, Vol. 14, no. 8, 242, 2021.
- Koukaras P., Gkaidatzis P., Bezas N., Bragatto T., Antal M., Carere F., Ioannidis D., Tjortjis C. and Tzovaras D., “A Tri-layer Optimization Framework for One-day Ahead Energy Scheduling based on Cost and Discomfort Minimization”, Energies, MDPI, Vol. 14, no 12, 3599; 2021.
- Sarlis V., Chatziilias V., Tjortjis C., Mandalidis D., “A Data Science Approach Analysing the Impact of Injuries on Basketball Players and Team Performance”, Information Systems, Elsevier, Vol. 99, 2021.
- Liapis S., Christantonis K., Chazan-Pantzalis V., Manos A., Filippidou D.E., and Tjortjis C., “A methodology using classification for traffic prediction: Featuring the impact of COVID-19”, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering (ICAE), IOS Press, Vol. 28, pp. 417-435, 2021.
- Koukaras P., Bezas N., Gkaidatzis P., Ioannidis D., Tzovaras D., and Tjortjis C., “Introducing a Novel Approach in One-step Ahead Energy Load Forecasting”, Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems, Elsevier, Vol. 32, 100616, 2021.
- Koukaras P., Nousi C. and Tjortjis C., “Stock Market Prediction Using Microblogging Sentiment Analysis and Machine Learning”, Telecom, MDPI, 3(2), 358-378, 2022.
- Koukaras P., Tjortjis C., Gkaidatzis P., Bezas N., Ioannidis D., and Tzovaras D., “An interdisciplinary approach on efficient virtual microgrid to virtual microgrid energy balancing incorporating data preprocessing techniques”, Computing, Springer, Vol. 104, No. 1, pp. 209-250, 2022.
- Koukaras P., Tjortjis C. and Rousidis D., “Mining Association Rules from COVID-19 Related Twitter Data to Discover Word Patterns, Topics and Inferences”, Information Systems, Elsevier, Vol. 109, 2022.
- Kasseropoulos D. P., Koukaras P. and Tjortjis C., “Exploiting textual information for fake news detection”, Int’l Journal of Neural Systems, World Scientific Publishing, Vol. 32, No. 12, 2022.
- Stasinos N., Kousis A., Sarlis V., Mystakidis A., Rousidis D., Koukaras P., Kotsiopoulos I., Tjortjis C., “A Tri-model Prediction Approach for COVID-19 ICU Bed Occupancy: A Case Study”. Algorithms, Vol. 16, No. 3: 140, MDPI, 2023.
- Mystakidis A., Ntozi E., Afentoulis K., Koukaras P., Gkaidatzis P., Ioannidis D., Tjortjis C. and Tzovaras D., “Energy generation forecasting: Elevating performance with machine and deep learning”, Computing, Springer, 2023.
- Development, maintenance and evolution of SW systems, PI, DTi
- Developing a diagnostic framework, and tools for data recovery, PI, DTi
- Software system quality evaluation based on the ISO 9126 standard, PI, GSRT
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) in Smart Cities and Communities, EY, Erasmus+
- Mohan, graduated 2007 (University of Manchester)
- Denaxas, graduated 2008 (University of Manchester)
- Kanellopoulos, graduated 2008 (Univ. of Manchester)
- J.-C. Chen, graduated 2009 (University of Manchester)
- P. Koukaras, graduated 2021 (IHU)
- D. Rousidis, ongoing since 2018
- Sarlis, ongoing since 2018
- Α. Kousis, ongoing since 2020
- Stasinos ongoing since 2020
- Mystakidis, ongoing since 2021
- G. Papageorgiou, ongoing since 2022